A reader asks:
How do I remove myself from a Facebook Group?
I just removed myself from several groups, so this one is fresh in my mind.
- First, log in to your personal Facebook account click your Home tab.
- In the lefthand sidebar click “Groups.” (If you don’t see the “Groups” tab, click the “More” link and it will display hidden tabs.
- A list of all your groups will display in the middle of your screen.
- Hover over the group you want to leave and a little x will appear to the right of the group.
- Click the x. Facebook will prompt you, “Are you sure you want to remove your membership from ___ group?”
- Click “Remove.” (Or click “Cancel” if you have second thoughts and really don’t want to remove yourself from the group.)
Once you remove yourself from a group, that group and postings by its members will no longer show up on your personal profile page.
How to Shut Down a Group You Created
If you are the administrator of a group and you want to delete the entire group, you first have to remove all the members by going through the “click the x” process above.
If other people also administer your group, remove them also.
Remove yourself (the group admin) LAST. The reason you must remove yourself last is that if you remove yourself and other people are still members of the group, Facebook will ask them if they want to administer the group.
But since you’re deleting your group altogether, you’ll want to remove everybody, then yourself.
Once the last person (you) has been removed from the group, the group will disappear forever into Facebook heaven.